Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fanciful Friday

I'm not a graceful or particularly lucky person, but sometimes, rarely, I have a day in which everything goes perfectly. Perfectly.

I woke up after a perfect night's sleep, had some coffee, made myself an omelette and headed to work. At work I was able to concentrate, I organized a little bit, made some calls and actually CLOSED my first case. The letter was mailed and Mr. So and So's company knows now that they're under our watchful eye. If Mr. So and So is prevented from practicing his religion freely again they will have a lawsuit on their hands. I'm not one for threatening or aggressive language but I must admit I really do like writing these letters. I like that our organization is able to be the voice of people who need our help. I like that we are legitimate in the legal world and I like that we get things done.

No one should be afraid of being exactly who they are. No one should be prevented from performing their religious rituals if they're not hurting anyone. No one should be told that what they are is wrong or threatening or evil.
I'm happy to stand for the rights that our country is based upon but so easily forgets.

And I'm honestly so happy to be doing real work. I haven't fetched coffee once or made a single copy. I have a ton of responsibility, and I love it. It's surprising to me, but I really do love it. I feel accomplished at the end of the day which is stark contrast to how I would feel at the end of the day at the library.



So around 1 I brought something to my boss's office and she says "I'm going to Jummah, do you want to come?" Jummah is sometimes called "friday prayer." It's basically a Muslim church service. There's an opening prayers and a congregation and a speaker (and Imam) and a congregation and everything. So I went with her to "the hill."

No big deal, we'll just will go into the Capitol Building.

Every friday they hold a service downstairs in the Capitol Building. You get an "official business visitor" badge and meet with the others downstairs. I became really emotional during the service because it reminded me so much of my time in Cairo. The room wasn't like Cairo or anything and the congregation was totally diverse, but the call to prayer was flawless. It always makes me a little misty eyed. I still remember the first one I heard. And the ones we listened to while we watched the sun go down in Cairo and Luxor. It just is inherently beautiful to me because of the memories it invokes. And the fact that the man singing usually has such a thick, haunting voice. The one on friday was beautiful.

The crowd was African-American and Arab and Caucasian and Hispanic and red blooded American and fresh off the boat. Most of the men wore business suits and were on lunch break but a few were in traditional African shirts and a few wore Kufi prayer caps. The women had modern and traditional vails. (my boss dresses so beautifully, she is very trendy).

The Imam's message was one I wish every bigoted or biased person could here. One I think many Americans would be surprised to hear from a Muslim just because they've never given one a chance. He thanked Allah for America. He thanked him for our strength and guidance in Afghanistan. He thanked the men and women who fight to protect our country and asked that the congregation continue to pray for the leaders of America.
And he said "don't forget our Jewish and Christian brothers and sisters who are together with us in prayer."

I don't think he changed the message just because one little white girl walked in, I think he believes these things. And I think he loves America. I know a profound amount of Muslims who do.






2 comments:

  1. So interesting. Thank you for sharing with us your experience. It was fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you get to experience these things and that you're so happy there! It sounds amazing and I love you!

    ReplyDelete