Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The next Metro stop is aefks blkbselkfjba dkjbfsdlk

DC has already become home in the short week and a half I've been here. I love the energy, the noise, the bustle. I love the sense of direction I now finally have. I love the other students in the program, our apartment, my teachers, my coworkers, the night life, the architecture, the history, the speeches, the senate meetings, the night life. I love it all.

I started real life last tuesday. I woke up early, ironed my slacks and donned a blazer. Big girl clothes, big girl work. I talk the metro into the city and emerge behind the Capitol Building. I walk two or three blocks in the light rain and arrive at CAIR's red brick building. Deep breaths, it'll be okay.

And it was. It was more than okay. My coworkers are gracious and patient with me on my first day. My boss is sweet and smiley. The people on the phone just want help, they don't mind if I stumble a little at first. The cases are real and important. I was expecting to be a nervous wreck- I really want to do a good job- but I wasn't. I was calm (cool and colected!) I'm lucky to work in such a healthy environment. Everyone greats each other al Salamu Alaikum. People on the phone are saying "yanni" and "inshallah." Everyone calls me sister. It's so nice.

I'm into the swing of things now and its beautifully exhausting. The work is incredibly taxing, it's heavy stuff and important stuff. We get bob threats, we get hate mail. We get lots of hate mail. But we help people. And so I come home every night so happy.

Not to mention I'm greeted with some incredible smiles. My roommates are fantastic. And we go on the metro to buy cupcakes and we go to book stores and we wander the city and I am so so happy here.

Soon I'll start blogging specific stories but for now, that's what you missed.
Remind me to tell you about the Institute of Peace and about the Cairo reunion! =D


Our beautiful Capitol Building, just a few blocks away from work!

Nationals vs. Dodgers with everyone from the
Lutheran College Washington Semester

The view of Rosslyn from my balcony

The Council on American - Islamic Relations headquarters 

The hallway into the office with news highlights
of cases handled or publicized by CAIR


Proof I survived the first day! Big girl clothes and everything!

My beautiful roommate Rachel and I on our
way home from a congressional hearing

LCWS with Esther Brimmer, Assistant Secretary of State
(She's in the yellow and she had just given a speech at the US Institute of peace)

United States Institute of Peace.
I'm going to work there one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment