Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

A windy day with the Skellys




On the last weekend in September I was fortunate enough to meet up with the family of one of my closest friends from school.



I met Mr. and Mrs. Skelly and Sara and Todd for lunch at a historic tavern near the White House and then we strolled over to the new MLK memorial.


I was really excited to be able to visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial so shortly after it had opened- before it's dedication even!
The memorial is in a gorgeous location, right across the pond from the Jefferson Memorial (some might call it the Jameson....)


And I was really impressed by the design and organization of the whole thing. Dr. King's figure emerges from a large stone with a quote




"Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope"


The symbolism is incredible, I found it really beautiful.


Then all around the site are some of his best quotes. It was awesome.




And although everyone here talks about this weather with disdain, I LOVE IT!

I love some good rain and some crisp wind.

And of course, it was amazing seeing the Skelly family! Just to catch up and wander around and have some familiar faces around was really nice for me.

This family has a really special place in my heart, they've always been so supportive and kind and I really appreciate our friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment